Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2012

My Oh My - It's been a week

It was a rough week with a really bad training day right in the middle. I was so excited to be able to run outside for the first time since I started training eight weeks ago. I worked hard to lay out my route and get a sitter and even find an outfit that wouldn't make any passerby shudder when they saw me running. I got through my first mile like a breeze... literally. It was over in about 10 minutes. Way faster than I have ever run and it made me grin from ear to ear. Then it hit - a cramp and with that cramp I had nothing else to give. I had to walk the remainder of my route. I felt defeated and a little disappointed in myself. And I won't even begin to tell you about the pain in my back. Literally!!!

Disclaimer: This is not my back... but one day soon my waist will be that small.

So today is Saturday and I dreaded getting on the treadmill today knowing that it was the official beginning of Week 8. That meant that I would be running for 28 minutes straight. That meant that I needed to give it my all. That meant that I had to prove to myself that there was no reason to be disappointed.

I did it... not only did I do the entire 28 minutes I did at a pretty decent pace (14 min/mile) and I didn't stop... nor hold on... nor slow down. The first 20 minuets were tough. I won't lie. But the last 8 minutes proved the theory that so many other runners have mentioned. After the first 20 minutes... it gets easier. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment